In 1902 nine women in Norfolk establish the Hebrew Ladies Charity Society, merging two groups, to care for unmet needs in the community. Mrs. Fannie Brenner presides for over 25 years. Dues are set at 25 cents a month.
Hebrew Ladies Charity Society and Jewish Women Council have funds managed through JFS. Please click here to donate.
In 1948, the Jewish Family Welfare Bureau adopts a new name: It is now called Jewish Family Service (JFS).
In 1969 JFS is incorporated and “Tidewater” is added to its name, recognizing its expanded services on the Peninsula and throughout the Southside.
In 1996, JFS held its 50th Anniversary Gala with special thanks given to its predecessor agencies: Hebrew Ladies Charity and the Tidewater Chapter of the National Council of Jewish Women.
In 2016 JFS moves into its new offices on the Sandler Family Campus, and for the first time, all services are under one roof.