JFS History

The Talmud declares that “one mitzvah (good deed) leads to another.” Jewish Family Service exists today as one link in a chain of mitzvot, performed by thousands of Jews one at a time and organized together, going back to the earliest settlements in Tidewater. Writer Tim Morton prepared a JFS timeline, tracing the roots of the organization to 1865 through 2003. Although it can not fully represent the countless deeds of loving kindness committed, this timeline is a testament to the longstanding history of JFS as a beacon of hope for the citizens of Hampton Roads.

1865
The Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Societies, deriving from the orthodox and conservative communities, are now operating in Portsmouth and Norfolk.

1872
The Hebrew Benevolent Societies, deriving from the orthodox and conservative communities, are now operating in Portsmouth and Norfolk.

1893
The Jewish Board of Guardians, a men’s group, is established in Norfolk. They will later merge with the Benevolent Societies.

1895
A growing community on the Peninsula organizes the first Jewish congregation and purchases land for a cemetery.

1901
The Peninsula community, led by Joshua Nachman, establishes the Hebrew Friendly Inn (still operating today), to meet the needs of transients. The Hebrew Free Loan Society is established.

1902
Nine women in Norfolk establish the Hebrew Ladies Charity Society, merging two groups, to care for unmet needs in the community. Mrs. Fannie Brenner presides for over 25 years. Dues are set at 25 cents a month.

1903
Pogroms in southern Russia bring together entire community for protest and fundraising rally.

1904
Charity Society receives charter from the state and establishes the Free Loan Fund to aid the needy. Mrs. Ray Cohen chairs this fund for 35 years.

1905
The Council of Jewish Women is founded in Norfolk. Mrs. D. E. Levy is elected its first president. The Council opens its “settlement house” on Church Street Providing classes for immigrants in English, American culture, and vocational training. The Council sponsors concerts and lectures; provides relief and care for the sick and needy. The Charity Society and Council agree to jointly raise funds to help victims of the Russian Programs. A Young Ladies Hebrew Association is formed.

1906
The Charity Society helps needy families observe High Holy Days traditions. The Council of Jewish Women inaugurates annual children’s outing to the seashore.

1907
The Hebrew Ladies Aid Society is organized in Portsmouth…its motto is “Happy is he who wisely considereth the poor.” The President of the National Council of Jewish Women addresses the opening of a Women’s Building at the Jamestown Exposition. A too busy Norfolk Council president has to install a telephone in her house to handle organization business. A note attached to a child abandoned in the woods says, “If found, please entrust to Jewish care.” The child is placed in a home and given the name of Ruth Virginia Cohen.

1908
The Sabbath school at the Settlement house grows to six classrooms. Ruth Cohen, the child who had been found in frail health, dies. The Sabbath school in Berkley opens to 44 students.

1909
The Jewish societies are helping needy families defray cost of burials and headstones. The Council of Jewish Women endorses the Child Labor Law before Congress and publishes a cookbook. Jewish organizations share the stage and describe their needs on “Reciprocity Day.”

1910
The Settlement House moves to the Cumberland Street Building and Miss Miriam Umbstadter is engaged as a social worker at $25 a month. She would later found the Norfolk Chapter of Hadassah. The Bureau Labor and Commerce reverses its decision to deport two immigrants after the community obtains employment and hospitalization for them.

1911
The Council of Jewish Women president speaks in Louisville and Cincinnati. The Council literary group studies Shakespeare. The Charity Society women take part in the community’s Chevra Kadusha. The Council joins the Norfolk Conference of Philanthropic Organizations.

1912
The Jewish community gives aid to victims of the Titanic sinking. Several people speak of the need for a Jewish Community Center.

1913
The number of students at the night school has grown so large that the Council talks to the Norfolk School Board about the need for additional space. The Charity Society members hold card parties to raise money.

1914
Scholarships given out by the Charity Society aid students at William and Mary and the yeshiva in Baltimore.

1915
The Council night school for foreign girls moves to Holt Street School. Volunteers roll bandages for Red Cross and the community raises funds for an ambulance, which is sent to the war-front.

1916
The Council lends support to a project seeking to counsel 250 women in Norfolk’s “red light” district. They agree to staff a room for Irene Leache Art Association. A Hadassah chapter is founded on the Peninsula.

1917
Southside community leaders meet to establish a Jewish Social Services Bureau, but fail to get enough support. The Jewish Welfare Board in Newport News sponsors weekly dances, socials and plays for servicemen at the Hebrew Bible Class Association Hall.

1918
Volunteers sort and distribute mail at Navy Y, and another effort to establish a Social Service Bureau fails.

1919
The Jewish Community Council is founded on the southside to raise funds for the community. Young men on the Peninsula establish the Pontiac Club and hold dances over a shoe store on Washington Avenue. The entire Jewish community pitches in to help Jewish refugees arriving from Europe. The Charity Society’s Hachnusat Orchim Committee finds housing and arranges for kosher food for immigrants. The Council opens a night school at Maury High.

1920
The Peninsula Jewish community organizes Young Men and Women’s Hebrew Associations and meets at Levinson Hall on Jefferson Avenue. Nine women organize a sewing guild, with philanthropic goals, on the Peninsula. The Council of Jewish Women establishes an office in the old Norfolk Academy Building (now the Chamber of Commerce). The Jewish community sends funds to aid refugee children in Europe and Palestine. Most “aliens” are non-Jews in classes that the Council is administering for the federal immigration service. The Charity Society members are delivering milk to needy children.

1921
Sewing guild members on the Peninsula organize a Council of Jewish Women chapter. The Charity Society’s Ndunyah Hakalah Committee is providing dowries for needy brides.

1922
B’nai B’rith and Council of Jewish Women collaborate on a survey of the southside Jewish community’s needs. The Peninsula Council of Jewish Women are sewing clothes for children arriving at Ellis Island. The southside Council organizes a Girl Scout troop. Mrs. E.J. Graff is chosen to head the Hebrew Aid Society on the Peninsula. She will continue to do so for 40 years.

1923
The Charity Society makes their annual Passover distribution of food and money. The Southside Council becomes an agency of the new Norfolk Community Fund.

1925
Responding to riots in Palestine, the Peninsula Jewish community organizes two funds which later merge into the United Palestine Appeal. The Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Society and the Council of Jewish Women merge to avoid duplicating efforts. The Sabbath school on Cumberland Street in Norfolk now has 125 students.

1927
The Peninsula Jewish Welfare Board establishes an office in the Graff Memorial Building. The Charity Society’s Free Loan Fund is helping the homeless find shelter. The Council of Jewish Women opens a library and organizes a Girl’s Club.

1928
The Council of Jewish Women endorses a movement to end all wars. A Portsmouth Society member visits a family, finds empty (Tzedakah banks) “blue boxes”, and sets up an aid program for children.

1930
The Council endorses uniform marriage and divorce laws, urges study of a sterilization program in Virginia, and criticizes British policies in Palestine.

1931
The Welfare Board on the Peninsula oversees Hebrew and “Americanization” classes. The Peninsula Council founds a Girl Scout troop.

1934
The Southside Council backs construction of first phase of the Norfolk Museum of Arts and Sciences and gives classes in music, art, drama, boys work shop.

1935
The Jewish community is under pressure as the Depression worsens. The organizations perform numerous acts of kindness to individuals…the Charity Society gives an unemployed man a grant for a new suit of clothes…the southside Council helps a client buy a horse and wagon…the Peninsula Council sponsors a student at the College of William and Mary.

1936
The southside Council endorses a birth-control bill. Councils on both sides of the water send donations to Jewish refugees in Germany. Justine Nusbaum, who will continue to perform mitzvot into the 1990s, becomes president of Norfolk Council. A child in the Council school wins a national essay contest.

1937
The entire Jewish community mobilizes to help refugees from Europe. Dozens of women greet refugees at the docks to ease them through customs, take them into their homes, and help them to find jobs and homes. The southside Council establishes a Men’s Advisory Board and organizes a retail salesmanship class. The proposed merger of the southside Council and the Hebrew Ladies Charity Society falls through.

1938
The Jewish community on the Peninsula unites their fund drives for Palestine, for European refugees, and for local needs into a United Jewish Appeal. The Peninsula Council renews “Americanization” classes. Mrs. Elise Margolius, daughter of the organization’s first president and a community historian, is elected president of the southside Council.

1940
More than 86 German-Jewish refugees, many of them children, land at the Norfolk “Army” pier and are removed from the Portuguese steamer, Quanza, by Council women and are taken into Jewish homes. Clever, compassionate legal work by Newport News lawyers, Sallie and Jacob Morewitz results in many refugees being allowed to stay in the country permanently. South Hampton Roads organizations establish a unifying agency, the Jewish Family Welfare Bureau where they can share office space and staff.

1941
Forty members of the southside Council are enrolled in the Aircraft Warning Service. Dozens of Peninsula Council women are working at a Red Cross “Canteen Unit.” “Charlie” Olshansky is an energetic National Jewish Welfare Board representative, who will later become the first executive director of the Peninsula council.

1942
The Peninsula Jewish community unifies their efforts in the Jewish Community Council. Henry Legum is elected president. The Portsmouth society takes the Naval Hospital. Theodore “Buck” Beskin, chairman of the Peninsula Welfare Board, tirelessly visits bases and hospitals and has to assume the duties of Jewish chaplain.

1943
Sara Goldfarb, president of Portsmouth Hebrew Ladies Aid Society for more than 20 years, is heading USO and Red Cross efforts. The Council endorses an anti-discrimination resolution. They give a tea dance for officers, and cater a USO weenie roast. More than 350 people of various nationalities and religions have taken Americanization classes, half-sponsored by the Peninsula Council, at the Newport News High School.

1945
The Portsmouth Society adopts another child overseas. The southside Council endorses unrestricted immigration to Palestine. They organize an “evening group” for women who work during the day. Mrs. V.H. Nusbaum’s spaghetti and meat balls have become famous at USO convalescent parties.

1946
Peninsula Council establishes the “Sick Loan Shelf” at the Newport News Health Building. Mrs. Alan Conn is chairman of this program for 13 years. The Council of Jewish Women and the Hebrew Ladies Charity Society establish the Jewish Family Welfare Bureau as an independent agency.

1948
The Jewish Family Welfare Bureau adopts a new name. It is now called Jewish Family Service.

1950
Jewish Family Service is playing a key role in the resettlement of Holocaust survivors and other refugees from World War II.

1958
JFS establishes a policy by which quality services will be provided regardless of a client’s ability to pay.

1969
JFS is incorporated and “Tidewater” is added to its name, recognizing its expanded services on the Peninsula and throughout the southside. JFS is licensed by the state to offer programs in adoption and foster care. A program with Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond trains students in social work. JFS Bi-laws are amended to meet national standards.

1970
JFS establishes an adoption program. The agency is granted provisional membership in the Family Service Association of America. A study of housing needs for the elderly is begun. A JFS social worker identifies correlation’s between eye dysfunction and behavioral problems among adolescents. This results in area schools changing their diagnosis procedures and treatments. JFS Board of Directors turn down a recommendation that JFS merge with other family agencies in Tidewater. A “Friendly Visitor” program for seniors is established.

1971
An annual JFS Associates’ Campaign is established for the purpose of broadening awareness and support of the agency and for fundraising. The staff work with young people who are visiting the elderly in area nursing homes. The program for parents of pre-schoolers is expanded.

1972
A counseling program for teens is established. The agency reports on housing needs for the elderly. JFS opens 255 cases this year and is coordinating a free loan program for students.

1973
The agency helps train volunteers for a program that encourages motherhood over abortion.

1974
Family Life Education Committee recommends new programs for parenting, drug education and “empty nesters.” JFS becomes a fully accredited member of the national Family Life Association.

1975
JFS budget amounts to more than $75,000. The agency oversees 46 Family Life Education programs.

1976
JFS inaugurates a home-assistance program for the chronically ill. A professional is hired to coordinate, stimulate, and manage program for senior adults.

1977
JFS opens an office in Portsmouth primarily to serve the needs of the elderly. A “Home Helper” program is begun for elderly. The agency joins with the Hebrew Academy of Tidewater to provide counseling programs for youth and families.

1979
JFS expands their counseling services. The “Home Helper” program has grown more than 400 percent in two years. The southside Council and Hebrew Ladies Charity Society reaffirm their support for Jewish Family Service. A government grant enables the agency to enlarge its “Life Enhancement” program. JFS is playing a key role in the resettlement program for Russian refugees.

1980
Jewish Family Service offices open in Newport News/Hampton and Virginia Beach.

1981
JFS receives a nearly perfect score from the national accreditation team.

1982
The Family Life Education programs now number more than 50. The Home-helper program assists 35 chronically ill couples or individuals.

1983
A grant helps underwrite a “Meals on Wheels” program. JFS joins with ODU and Catholic Family Service in sponsoring a conference on religious cults. A support group for parents of handicapped children is established. The agency is approved as a Medicaid provider and hires a registered nurse to administer its personal care program.

1984
The United Way on the Peninsula designates JFS as a member. The agency contracts with Beth Sholom Sands to provide comprehensive social services.

1985
JFS opens a day-care center for adults at the JCC. Affiliation with the Eastern Virginia Medical Authority leads to JFS becoming a resident training site. Establishes a program for intermarried couples and Jews by choice is established. Jewish “Identity” programs and programs for intermarried and Jews by choice win awards for excellence.

1986
Grant from American Express allows agency to expand “Freeing the Home-Bound Elderly” program…Opens Restmere Center at JCC for disabled older adults… Staff members present papers on aging and services to elderly at national conference.

1987
JFS moves into renovated offices at the JCC. Senior adults dance to “Alley Cat” at Harvest Moon Ball. Restmere Center expands operation from three to five days a week.

1989
The Quality of Life Program is developed. It uses Recreation Therapy to address leisure, social and recreational needs of older adults. It also serves JFS Hospice patients. While many activities are designed expressly for a specific individual, the program includes several socialization groups and telephone conference calling discussion groups. JFS Hospice Program begins with a hospice conference from a Jewish perspective for the general Tidewater community. JFS provides Bikur Cholim training for individual synagogues as requested.

The Roger D. Kaplan Memorial Foundation is created.

1990
The Soviet Jewish Resettlement program is reestablished in response to Operation Exodus. Some parts of the program include matching families with host synagogue volunteers, finding apartments, job placement and ESL classes.

A Parenting Resource Center opens featuring a lending library of videos, audio cassettes and books about parenting, with an emphasis on the Jewish point of view.

“In Celebration of Jewish Women,” a three part series, brings together guest speakers and local women to share the complexities and triumphs of Jewish American women.

The Chaverim socialization program for developmentally disabled adults is created.

A grant is received to develop an Adult Protective Services Program, later to be called Personal Affairs Management.

Home Health Services are expanded to 24 hours per day.

The Ralph and Mollie Bartel Fund for the Developmentally Disabled is established.

1991
The JFS Hospice Program earns the 1991 National Association of Family and Children’s Agency Professionals’ award for excellence in program design, delivery and effectiveness.

The Janis Lynn Kaplan Memorial Fund for the Developmentally Disabled is created.

The Naomi V. Ehrenworth Memorial Fund for Hospice Services is established.

A grant is given by the Virginia Department for Developmental Disabilities to JFS to create a family support network in Older Adult Services.

JFS Children and Youth Services expanded to provide intellectual, educational and projective testing. A Play Therapy facility is added to the Counseling Center.

1992
JFS hosts a college fair featuring colleges with significant Jewish populations and workshops to address student and parental concerns about going to college.

JFS begins to handle reunion cases for recent Soviet Jewish refugees.

A Support group forms for parents and friends of chronically mentally ill Jewish adults, resulting in SIMCHA, a socialization group for chronically mentally ill adults.

The Pincus Paul Charitable Trust names JFS as a recipient of support.

The Betty and Jerome Shure Hospice and Judaism Fund is established.

The Jewish Family Service Foundation is created as the first supporting foundation of the Tidewater Jewish Foundation. Annabel Sacks is named president.

Consultative psychiatric and psychological services added to the clinical services for children, adolescents and adults.

A grant is awarded to the Personal Affairs Management Program by Virginia Ferguson. This grant helps PAM to continue its development of bill payment, representative payee, power of attorney and guardianship programs for older adult and disabled clients.

1993
The Quality of Life Program wins the 1993 National Association of Jewish Family and Children’s Agency Professional’s Award for program design and service delivery. The program has reached out to over 100 people since its inception in 1989.

The Zalman Graber Memorial Fund, the Esta K. Bodner Fund for Services to Older Adults and the Jeanette Kaufman Gemilut Chesed Fund are established at the JFS Foundation.

1994
Over 271 people have come to the Tidewater area through the Soviet Jewish Resettlement Program. JFS has had a 97% success rate in job placement within four months of a New American’s arrival.

A two year grant is awarded to JFS From the Tidewater Jewish Foundation and the Virginia Endowment for the Aged for Case Management and Hospital Outreach Services.

New funds are established in the JFS Foundation: Armond and Rose Caplan Philanthropic Fund; Landau/Lannik Philanthropic Fund; and the Jacob and Fannie Saunders Memorial Fund.

Transferred from the Tidewater Jewish Foundation to the JFS Foundation: David Carr Glover Children’s Fund (Glover is the writer of the “Mickey Mouse Club Song.”).

1995
JFS Clinical Services begins its monthly “Children Cope with Divorce” program to familiarize adults going through a divorce as to the effects it will have on their children.

The Tidewater Board of Rabbis participates in monthly training programs led by JFS on dealing with grief, mourning and other counseling issues facing their congregates.

A grant from the Partnership Group provides the funds for Jewish Family Service’s Telephone Reassurance and Bill Payer Assistance Programs developed by the Personal Affairs Management Committee.

JFS provides weekly counseling services at the Hebrew Academy.

The 50th Anniversary Gala, to be held on April 13, 1996 is announced. Thanks are given to the predecessor agencies of JFS: Hebrew Ladies Charity and the Tidewater Chapter of the National Council of Jewish Women.

JFS receives KOVOD Award from the National Association of Jewish Family and Children’s Agency for its brochures of agency services and Endowment brochure.

The Ronald Hyman Home Health Care and Hospice Fund is established at the JFS Foundation.

JFS holds its first memorial service to honor the memory of patients in its Homecare program who passed away during the year. The program was developed by the Quality of Life Recreation Therapist.

The Jewish Education Council awarded JFS the Community Jewish Education Award for its Bikur Cholim Training Program. JFS also received a Certificate of Commendation for its joint programming with Temple Israel for Tu B’Shvat. Members of the Chaverim group for the developmentally disabled and the SIMCHA group for chronically mentally ill adults participated in the program.

Some of the “New Americans” who came to Tidewater in 1990 and were settled by JFS and the community have become U.S. citizens.

JFS provides training for staff and campers at the JCC to integrate developmentally disabled children into the summer camp.

1996
The JFS Hospice Program receives licensure from the State of Virginia.

The Tidewater Council of Jewish Women and The Hebrew Ladies Charity establish endowment funds at the JFS Foundation.

The Tidewater Jewish Community celebrates the fiftieth anniversary of JFS.

Robert and Margie Rashti Philanthropic Fund and Jacob and Fannie Saunders Memorial Fund are established at the Jewish Family Service Foundation.

1997
JFS Home Health program is accredited by the Joint Commission Accreditating Healthcare Organizations.

Portsmouth General Hospital awards JFS 40,000 dollar grant to expand Personal Affairs Management Program in Portsmouth.

Quality of Life Program wins award from Virginia Hospice Association for innovative services to families.

Lee & Helen Gifford Fund for Volunteer Services is established at JFS Foundation.

Reba & Samuel Sandler Memorial Fund is established at JFS Foundation

1998
The JFS Personal Affairs Management Program is nominated as a Model Program by the Governor’s Advisory Council on Aging. The program is also included in the Governor’s biennium budget for a cumulative total of $105,000.00.
JFS awarded grant by JFS & Tidewater Jewish Foundation to expand behavioral healthcare services to the elderly.

Kas-Sonenshine Philanthropic Fund, Franklin and Gertrude Engel Fund for services to Children, and the Frances and Oscar Birshtein Philanthropic Fund are established at the Jewish Family Service Foundation.

JFS & JCCT cooperate to develop special needs summer camp program at JCCT. Funds for the project are provided by Tidewater Council of Jewish Women, Janis Lynn Kaplan & Ralph & Mollie Bartel Fund for Services to the Developmentally Disabled, JCCT Foundation and the Tidewater Jewish Foundation.

1999
The volunteers of the Personal Affairs Management Bill Payers program are honored by the Portsmouth Coalition on Aging for Outstanding Volunteer Service to the Senior Community in Portsmouth

JFS and EDMARC Hospice for Children collaborate in developing Peace By Piece, offering children a caring, sharing environment where they can understand their grief and adopt to life following the death of someone they love.

JFS also develops the Center for Loss, Transition and Healing through funding from the Thomas Hofheimer Medical Mission, Roger David Kaplan Memorial Foundation, Jessica Rachel Glasser Memorial Foundation, Celia K. Krichman Revocable Trust, Leonard & Tobee Kaplan, Hal & Annabel Sacks, Tidewater Children’s Foundation, Jay Klebanoff, United Way of South Hampton Roads is designed to be a Safe Harbor for Grieving Children, Teens and their Families.

JFS receives a grant from the Virginia HealthCare Foundation to establish Portsmouth EDUCARE, a coalition of four providers JFS, Portsmouth Family Medicine, Portsmouth Healthcare Center, and Senior Services of Southeastern Virginia. The program will focus on the early identification, screening and treatment of geriatric depression in a primary care setting.

JFS receives a two year grant from the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany, Inc. to provide necessary services to aged and infirm Holocaust survivors.

The Puritz-Wohlgemuth Fund for Services to Children, Marx Family Memorial Fund, Jessica Glasser Restricted Fund, Aaron & Gertrude Behrman Fund for Volunteer Services and Jody and Alan Wagner Family Fund are established at the Jewish Family Service Foundation.

2000
JFS and the National Multiple Sclerosis Society Hampton Roads Chapter receive United Way Community Investment Fund grant to provide psychotherapy, respite care, case management and recreation therapy to families and individuals coping with Multiple Sclerosis. JFS social worker staffs the MS clinic at Depaul Medical Center. JFS, Berlex Laboratories and Depaul Medical Center sponsor an all day forum entitled “Many Paths to Healing”.

JFS and Catholic Charities of Hampton Roads jointly receive $86,000 contract from the Virginia Department on Aging to establish “Interfaith Program for Guardianship of Last Resort.”

JFS Personal Affairs Management program is also included in the Governor’s 2000-2002 budget for the Department on Aging to receive $122,000 annually.

Harry Graber is appointed to serve a three-year term on the Governor’s Advisory Board on Guardianship and Conservatorship.

JFS expands services and opens new offices in Williamsburg, College Park, Portsmouth and Virginia Beach.

Jay Klebanoff is the new President of Jewish Family Service of Tidewater.

2001
JFS receives $30,000 grant from HIAS for the provision of innovative acculturation services for Soviet-Jewish refugees resettled in the Tidewater area.

JFS receives a three year grant along with three other agencies from the Virginia Healthcare Foundation, Beazley Foundation, Portsmouth General Hospital Foundation and Portsmouth Community Foundation for the early identification and treatment of geriatric depression in a primary care setting. The other agencies participating in the grant are Portsmouth Family Medicine of Eastern Virginia Medical School, Senior Services of Southeastern Virginia, and Portsmouth Community Healthcare Center

JFS receives a three year grant from the Tidewater Jewish Foundation, Virginia Endowment for the Jewish Aged. Richard and Martha Glasser, Celia Krichman Charitable Remainder Trust, Jewish Family Service Foundation and an anonymous donor to begin our EMBRACE program. The program is designed to develop a rapid response for those who have registered in our program. EMBRACE is designed for people to pre-register and develop coordinated response through JFS during the event of a hospitalization or healthcare crisis.

JFS honors Dr. Arthur Kaplan at its annual fundraiser and raises over $82,000 on behalf of JFS and the Roger David Kaplan Memorial Fund.

Harry Graber is chosen to serve on the Board of Directors of the Virginia Association for Homecare. He is also chosen and honored by the UJFT at its annual meeting for outstanding professional achievement in the field of Jewish Communal Service.

2002
JFS successfully completes second year of EDUCARE for Seniors program meeting all goals outlined by the Virginia Healthcare Foundation.

JFS successfully introduces “Baskets of Hope” and the “Car Donation” program to raise funds for the food, financial assistance and transportation program.

JFS honors Harry Graber at its annual meeting for his 15 years of dedicated service to JFS and the Tidewater Jewish Community.

JFS expand its Norfolk office by 2000 sq. feet to house the ever expanding home health care program. Jan Ganderson, RN, Director of Nursing, is honored at the open house for her dedicated leadership, commitment to excellence and deep concern for patient care. Moreover, she is identified as the organizational catalyst for the growth in the program and a major reason for the fine reputation the program maintains in the community.

The Rachel Schoenbaum Endowment Fund is established by Rachel Schoenbaum and her family. To establish the fund, Rachel directs all of her Bat Mitzvah gifts to JFS.

2003
JFS embarks on its new building, which includes room for growth while providing existing services to all clients.

In response to Linda Spindel’s, President of JFS, letter to the community requesting donations to purchase a vehicle for transportation of our clients, an anonymous donor gives the agency a vehicle. Another anonymous donor agrees to purchase a new van for the agency. This allows the PAM Program and the Older Adult Services to each have a vehicle of their own.

A healthy baby boy is born in March and a healthy baby girl born in May. Both babies are placed with two very excited Jewish Families through the agency adoption program.

Email News and Announcements
Sign Up
SafeSubscribe with Constant Contact